So far, 83 Nirmal devices were installed in sixteen villages of Maharashtra by students of Nirman youth camps.
School based evaluation study:
Before replicating in to other villages, schools and houses, we evaluated the efficacy of the Nirmal hand-washing program using observation checklist, focus groups of students and teacher surveys and interviews of parents. Eighty-two students, 10 teachers and 8 parents participated in this analysis process.
The survey instruments:
- Questionnaires for Teachers, Parents and Students,
- Observation of the students while washing hands for the accuracy of hand washing steps,
- Observation of student by a hidden observer to nullify the observer effect.
- Surprise inspection of Nirmal hand washing device to check whether it was being used by children or not?
We found that,
- About 83% children continued to wash their hands as recommended after three months of installation of Nirmal in their schools.
- Parents and Teachers were satisfied and enthusiastic about the Nirmal Hand-washing program. 97% Teachers said that Nirmal has improved the quality of hand-washing practice in school children.
- A majority of parents noticed the change in hand washing practice of their children and 6 of them were ready to install Nirmal hand-washing device at their homes
- 3 parents were not ready to ‘pay’ for Nirmal installation at their houses. They wanted it for free of cost.